Classic Sous Vide Burgers
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Small Bowl
- Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
- Cooking Container
- 24 oz ground beef Wagyu or Angus
- Coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Neutral oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1/3 tsp vinegar
- 4 slices American cheese thick
- 4 potato buns
- 2 tbsp butter
- lettuce, tomato, pickle (optional)
- Using an immersion circulator, preheat a water bath to 132° – 137°F.
- Gently form four 6-ounce patties, being careful not to overwork the meat. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Seal patties individually in vacuum bags. Cook patties in the water bath for 2-2.5 hours.
- While the patties are cooking, make the burger sauce: in a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and vinegar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To finish, remove the patties from the bags and place on paper towels; carefully and thoroughly pat dry. Rest for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Using a griddle, grill, or broiler, toast buns with butter, if desired.
- Heat a lightly-oiled grill or cast-iron pan over a very high flame. Sear or grill until a nice crust has formed, about 1 minute. Flip the patties over and top with cheese. Continue to sear about 1 minute more.
- Dress buns with reserved burger sauce, lettuce, tomato, and/or pickle (if using), patties, and bun tops. Serve immediately.