Sous Vide Pork Carnitas
- Vacuum Sealer
- Cast-Iron Skillet (optional)
- Sous Vide Immersion Circulator
- Cooking Container
- 1 pork shoulder cut into 2" cubes
- seasoning of your choice
- Coat pork shoulder liberally with your favorite rub (ex. brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, smoked chipotle tabasco sauce, cocoa powder).
- Vacuum seal—important to use a sealer, not Ziploc bags for this one because of the long cooking time.
- Cook sous vide at 149°F for 36 hours.
- Run bag(s) under cool water until they’re cool enough to handle, then shred the pork by smooshing it with your fingers still in the bag. It will shred easily.
- No searing necessary, but if desired, add quick char in a rocket-hot cast-iron skillet. Put on tacos with your favorite toppings.
You can substitute chicken thighs and keep the temperature the same. Cook for 2 hours, up to 12 hours. In this case, you can use a Ziploc bag.